I wanted to write about our experience of Sabbatical here in France.I imagine that most folks know why we are taking it by now, and wanted just to share some thoughts about it.
Normally as overseas workers, we'd be expected to go home for a year, spending time resting, reflecting about what God wants us to do next, well as you know we can't go home, for practical reasons. We can't leave our home empty for a whole year, the kids are still in school and this year is important for them both as they both have their BAC exams..so we stay here.
One thing I'm unsure of is, what do we do? I mean with the folks from the church we attended..we're stepping back from attending there for 9 months. So how do we react if someone calls and wants info, or maybe wants to call round for a chat/coffee/ help?
I feel very protective towards Alan and am always on the alert if he gets a phone call or an email from anyone from the church. It's not that I don't love them, but I worry that one day soon, or over the next month or two, they are going to ask him to preach..you see I really don't think they realise what a sabbatical is, and why we are taking it. I love the folks dearly and stuff, but have found it quite difficult leaving and not saying good bye..I suppose there is a possiblity of us going back after the 9 months are up...
Anyway, as I said, I've started studying theology, having said that, it's a few weeks since I've been nose in books! Mostly because it's the school holidays, and the kids are around..yes I know they are old enough to look after themselves, but I feel from time to time it's good to do something with them! even if it's just watching a DVD! so confessing that I am at least two weeks behind!We have visited two churches, both Assemblies of God, and both different. The first one very popular with students, and I expected it to be pumping!! music, loud drums, lots of repetition etc, but I was pleasantly surprised! I enjoyed it..the music was good, lots of singing but not the repetition that i expected, and the words to the songs were meaningful..not a lot of meaningless stuff! the preaching was great..Grace, talking about David and his relationship with Mephibosheth, how David showed grace to him and was a picture of Christ and the grace we find in him. Last week we went to the other ADD We were a bit late due to a dispute between some guy and his mother! who were complaining that the bus didn't stop for them..she parked her car right in front of the bus so he had no choice but to stop..anyway. Funny how different this church was..the music was fine in that it wasn't loud, the worship leader was less of a showman ( the other guy has made Cd's that are for sale in the Maison de la bible). I didn't feel so welcome here, not that there was anything wrong. We were a bit late, someone showed us to a seat, but we walked out of there and apart from the lady who showed us where to sit no*one said anything to us....
One thing that is coming out of this, is that we are certainly doing more things together. We have started decorating the kitchen..we are talking more, and I hope will continue to do so. It's a hard thing burn-out. I went through it myself many years ago, after 7yrs of working at a hospice for the terminally ill, so it was good to be able to recognise a little of what Alan is going through..
Well, that's the first of the journey..we'll see how it goes on!

No comments:
Post a Comment