Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Wed mornings

Is spent with my friend Rhian..we go swimming together, use the jacuzzi and the sauna!! such a treat..in between lengths (!) we stop & chat about our families

We both have youngsters in their teens..all going through the difficult stages of finding their feet etc.
Gwilym has been feeling really fed up..hates school & hates mechanics. Something must have happened cos he seemed very content there & enjoyed his school placements...

The education system is quite different here though..If you get something like 11/20 it's just not good enough, & the teacher tells you in no uncertain terms, & in front of everyone..The idea is that it makes you work harder! Ok this may work for some kids, others just switch off & take no notice, mine get upset....

In the UK it used to be more encouraging.."yes ok not bad, but you could do better.."
This gets the kids down sometimes, & so when they come home with a really bad note 6/20 what am I supposed to do? I'm hardly going to come down on them like a ton of bricks, they get that already, so I adopt the 'hmm, well I'm sure you'll do better next time'...They have enough pressure at school as it is, & whilst I am fully aware that exams are coming up in the future, I don't want to add to that pressure!

So what to do for poor old Gwilym..he could leave school but in my mind that isn't really an option cos he would leave with no qualifications, & to work in Mcdonalds even, you need something..

Anyway, hopefully he'll go for a man to man chat with his dad this afternoon to try & sort it out..Maybe we'll need to speak to the teachers??

No comments: