Just after we returned home from our holiday in the UK, Iwas taking people here & there in the car, having left my driving license in a different bag..here you must have your driving license on you, & all the info about the car, in the car at all times.
About the third time I was ferrying folks to the tram stop & taking someone to Lormont (about 1/2h drive away) and remembered as we left the driveway that I didn't have my license again!!
'Blow' says I to the girls in the car'I haven't got my license & to be honest not sure where it is! Oh well, just pray we don't get stopped by the police'
Famous last words! as we turned the corner by the pharmacy, a cry of horror went up in the car, as we saw at least 6 policemen spread across the road pulling people in! & yes they halled me in too!
Hmm, well I thought I'd be up front about not having my license straight away...then proceeded to hunt confidently in the box under the car seat for the papers. Not there!! A complete disaster, no license, no papers!
I explained that I lived just around the corner, & could phone my husband to bring everthing to the car..so the very nice policeman left me to phone in a panic, whilst everyone was praying (yeah I know it isn't an arrestable offense, but they fine you!)
Eventually the very nice policeman came back, & let me go! I told him I could come back, but no, he said go (probably 'clear off you mad English woman!!)
Big sigh of relief as I dropped the girls off at the tram stop then drove off to Lormont, still hoping I wouldn't get stopped again..The papers had been taken out of the car during the time our car was in the garage (twice!) being repaired in the UK......

No comments:
Post a Comment