I fell in the garden on Friday afternoon, just after it had been raining and the patio was wet..I was going out to give the piggies an apple core..I fell on my right leg, and it was very painful! But over the weekend it settled, was stiff & sore but manageable. Cracked the screen on my Ipod!
Well the bruising started coming out on Sunday, and by yesterday, I found it really hard to walk. Had arranged that I would go in to Pessac centre, get the car from where Alan was going to leave it (he had chaple time at the collége lunch time) bring Catrin home then on the way back taking her & picking Alan up at the same time.
I'd been doing some house work - sweeping the stairs, ironing, etc. then sat down, and was in agony! The top of my leg had swollen a lot..
I hobbled to my bed, texted Alan to say I couldn't make it, and phoned our dear friend Rhian..just for company, and to see if we thought I should go to hospital!
So she phoned an ambulance..they sent a doctor first to look at me (I'd also made an appointment with myown GP that afternoon cos of this)
He arrived just after Alan & Catrin, looked at my leg & thought there was a possiblilty it could be broken..not separated though..
So called the ambulance..The girls were very pleasant..
What a palavar though! They had to blow up mattress which they then put on the bed next to me, and with help I got on, and they enfolded me in it so I couldn't move..then carried me on to the stretcher..
Rhian took Catrin back to school & off we went to the hospital (the doctor had told us to go to the one around the corner, but the ambulance people knew it's a heart hospital..so they phoned control & took me to one just outside Pessac)
Got to casualty, laid on the bed for I suppose about half hour, went to x ray...I think it must be true of all xray staff, they are not gentle!! Well a bit of a sweeping statement perhaps, but they were a bit rough where I used to work!!
Well, that done, went back to casualty to await results, praying that it wasn't broken "because of "your age, it would mean an operation"
that would mean months of recovery..
The doctors were very pleasant (and SO young!) "We're just waiting to send you to x ray"
"but I've just had one"
"you've had one? when "
'about 10mins ago"
"I'll just go and get the results"
thankfully not broken! I have internal bruising..haematoma..
"Do you have any shoes?"
"no!"
"are you with anyone"
"yes my husband, but we left them at home"
"I'll find you some slippers" He came back with some paper ones, very jollie!
Anyway, it was still very painful to walk, so he went off to get a prescription for medicines..
A guy who was obviously the head of A&E came in, wanting to get the beds freed up (there were other folks who were just waiting to go I think) He came to me, got me on my feet
"are you German? "
"No, English"
" If you want we can continue this in English"
"No,it's ok, I have to speak more French"
Then of course we had to get home, cos of course we both got there in the ambulance! So we firstly phoned Rhian which was daft really cos she was already collecting Catrin from Collége -it was now 4pm..so we called Liz who came over the hill like the calvary as usual (we have so much calvary to help us it's wonderful!Thankyou Lord for such good friends!)
Liz collected us, but she then had to go & collect her kiddies! So Alan phoned their school from the back of the car, saying Liz would be late "C'est qui?"
"Madame Griffin"
"Ah, l'anglaise?"
"Oui, exactement"
Nice to be known eh!
When I phone my GP, I don't have to give my name anymore! The receptionist knows me! Can be useful havlng a 'charming' accent!
So all in all not unpleasant, apart from the discomfort! Have been taking the pills..they do knock me out a bit! Have been sleeeeeeping so much, but my leg feels much better, beautiful colour as well. So I have to take them for 5 days, & then see how it goes..so this week for me it's just a case of resting, moving about slowly! and not rushing out in the rain!!
Thank you for all your prayers..it is such a relief that I came home & not in to the operating theatre!

1 comment:
God bleeses us all the time. glad for no broken bones. Our prayers are with your healing. Rest and enjoy this quiet time with our Father.
Post a Comment