so what's new about that...
Anyway, Catrin went to school this morning, for a Célebration de Noel..A service in the local Catholic church, and then on to the school for the Christmas school fayre..which consisted of 3 stalls, and a chocolat chaud & gateaux stall..They don't go in for big school fayres here, too much work, and only worried about getting a bit of money for the school. They were selling hyacinth bulbs to raise money for pocket money for those going on the school trip to England next year..
After lunch we had to take Gwilym to St Loubés, about 45mins away, to the young people's meeting with the church. Then we had to take Alan to the centre of Bordeaux for the English class, then by the time we got him there (well actually it was cancelled cos of the tram strike, not many folk would get in) it was then time to go and get Gwilym again..many Saturday's are spent in the car..I expect it's like that for loads of folks , only not just Saturdays!!
Wednesday is a bit like that too..Normal life eh?
These photos were taken from the car over the Pont de Pierre, of the river front..
Incidently, the Pont de Pierre is featured in a book I'm reading about a chap called Aristides de Sousa Mendes, who was the Portuguese consel in Bordeaux during the second world war.
He gave out hundreds of visas to people, jews and other "undesirables" so they could escape from the Nazis.
The Pont de Pierre came to a standstill, full of people wanting to get visas and escape!
A really good book, that was made in to a film which was shown recently in Pessac..I didn't get to see it, cos of my bad back but I would have loved to have done so.
The book is called"A Good Man in Evil Times" byJosé Alain Fralon
The early part of the evening was spent getting to grips with Catrin's home work. They had all read a book and had to answer questions on it : what was deduced from this. What action was taken etc..
Trouble is many of the questions seemed to ask the same thing! However, with my lousy french accent, I read the relevant parts, and we managed to get the answers (they'd better be right I can tell you! I sweated over them, and have to say I feel quite pleased that I managed to under stand the text...basically!)

No comments:
Post a Comment