Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 20, 2009

Surprise party

It has been a lovely sunny day, for which I was very thankful! I'd spoken to many folks about coming here for lunch, a little party for Alan (last week he'd said "if you had thought about doing a surprise party or anything, don't make it before Monday".. "no, I hadn't thought about doing anything" and at that time I hadn't, but it gave me an idea)

As a family we'd managed to decorate the sitting room on the Friday evening, knowing that Alan wouldn't be home til about 11pm; and I would divert him from going in there..we'd put balloons all round the room, and his presents on the table..that worked well!

I had asked the Mission Vacances team to come for lunch today, and decided to invite the world & his mother as you do..and so we were 23 for lunch..the first time we have ever run out of plates! I managed to scramble up 2 paper plates, and I used a dessert bowl!

The team were to come about mid-day, and I'd told the Griffins to come about 1pm so that it wouldn't give the game away, however I forgot to warn others, who arrived before the team.
I had said to Alan about 11.45 "don't you think it's time to get dressed, they'll be here soon" "nah they won't be here for ages"..Carol Foucachon & family turned up! Alan was still in his dressing gown, gave a quick squeal of surprise & ran into the bedroom to get dressed!

It was great! Several folks bought food, so we had loads, and it was just great to be together chatting & eating..the weather was just great!

After everyone but 3 of the team had left, we the rest, decided to go to the Dune de Pyla, but as we approached, the road was absolutely choc a bloc! So we diverted to a little village, and Alan found the way to a huitre farm, and a beach(ish) so we pottered around there played a bit of tag, and made our way home..

So it's been a busy but great week..we're so encouraged by the folks who gave up^a week of their holiday, to come to Bordeaux & work very hard to talk to students, talk at an exhibition about Calvin, do door to door work and talk to students on the University campus about the gospel..

We really hope they will come back next year..having done it once, and seen the pit falls & the rest..will be prepared for next time.

No comments: