Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 14, 2009

my first real cultural difference

Although there is obviously cultural differences between the Brits & the French, it was even clearer today in my french class..there we have Chinese, Indian, Austrailian, B'haranian & Iranian..

We were discussing part of a speech made by Martin Luther King "Hate is too heavy a burden to bare. I have decided to love"

It was a really good discussion, and in one part, we focused on the word 'decided' I said it was a decision on his part, to love, not easy but possible..My Iranian friend said it is very rare to find someone who can love lie that, which is true, but I said it is possible for anyone to love..everything is possible with God..

My friend is a very serious person, doesn't discuss without first thinking seriously about things, which is a very good thing to do..

Sometimes I make throw away comments, just flippantly messing about and to lighten things up a bit (cos I do that) the discussion got quite heated, mainly I think because I said that I love everyone..a flippant remark that isn't true, although Jesus does say we must love our enemies..My gestures made her think that I wasn't taking her seriously...(I was pretending to be scared as she was wagging her finger at me a lot..) and she thought that maybe I wasn't being serious in some of the things I said..

No one else took that view, so I think yes I should be more serious especially where other cultures are involved..I don't want to give offense.

I forgot to tell her, that I consider someone wagging there finger at me as rude! But there you go..I hope we parted friends, and I must try to be careful in the future!

No comments: