So we got back from Alsace about 10pm last night, me talking rubbish all the way to keep Alan awake...even the kids joined in (when they were awake) It was a looooong journey, I found it hard to keep my eyes open on the way home! We made lots of pit stops on the way home for coffee loo & energy drinks..
Anyway, it was a lovely weekend..on the way, alan & I developed a cold! NOT again! yep..sneezing & coughing our way to Grendlewold..I sneezed so violently that my tooth shot out again!! I managed to wedge it in..It lasted til the second verse of Amazing Grace..that Ben's mum, aunt & I sang for the entry of the bride... last minute descision cos the techno stuff didn't work... & I managed to catch it before it hit the bride in between the eyes! Hopefully no one noticed!
Anyway, that was it..everytime I talked after that, it would fall out, so in the end I just didn't bother to put it back..just grinned for the photo's with mouth closed, and talked without moving my lips (not really!)
The service went really well, Alan managed to do the whole thing without coughing..we bellowed out "A toi la gloiré" with gusto.
When Ben & Nora got outside there was a horses & carriage! I don't think Nora was expecting it, cos I heard her give a little gasp! lovely!
went off to have an apéro for about an hour..got to talk to loads of people..they had a professional chap singing an Italian thingy (Alan's explanation is sooo much better) he was a very pleasant guy..
Met a welsh man from Cardiff! His girlfriend is French & knows Ben (who doesn't!) so that's why he was there..also there was a chap from Leeds who had worked with Ben about 5yrs ago! so he obvoiusly keeps in touch with folks!
After a while went back up to the maison de vacances where we were staying..Catrin myself, Gwilym & Ben's mum & Aunt had spent the morning decorating the main room with balloons and having a great time together whilst Alan was doing important stuff with Ben.
So the room looked splendid, and ready for a disco after the nosh..We sat down about 9pm ish for 5courses!
Ben's brother hadn't understood that there would be 5, and so piled his plate up with the first course! Lots of fish, veggies and some exotic stuff, all so scrummy..I had several bits of fish, and a huge prawn! I wish I had two stomachs, I just wanted to eat everything.
The next course was the meat & veg course..but in between they had arranged to play silly games..
The first game involved 12 people already chosen by Ben & Nora..Gwilym was one of them. They had to sit on chairs facing each other, and were given tasks to do..first inFrench then in English (to make it fair no one was allowed to rush off until both languages had been spoken)
The first task was to find a tie, not your own..so they all charged around the room virtually strangling folks to get their ties off! Whilst they were doing this, one chair was removed..the person who was out, was then given a task they had to do for the bride & groom throughout the year..ie some one had to arrrange a bbq for the month of August, Gwilym has to buy them easter choc...
It was a good laugh..then we had the next course. Then came the best man speech, which involved a pink fluffy hat, two other guys wearing peruvian type hats, and a guitar! Had us all in stitches..Chris was the guy, and had been Ben's best mate for many years..Alan's right when he says that Ben attracts nutters (except Nora of course! she seems to be the sane one of the two, a stabilising influence perhaps!?)
Anyway, at about midnight Alan decided to go to bed, even though he hadn't had some of the yummy cheese & dessert (it hadn't appeared by then either!) So off he coughed to bed,whilst the disco got started (dessert, dessert called my stomach!)
It appeared and boy what a lot!! absolutly gorgeous! smelly cheese with salad first of course, then they had profiter roles piled really high with a little bride & groom on the top (Gwilym took a photo for me, I'll try & post it some time) lots of scrummy chocolate gateaux..my eyes were popping. Alan suddenly appeared (must have smelt all the choc!) so he got his dessert in the end! I couldn't manage a lot, but it was vraiment super!
Then to bed about 1.30!
We had such a lovely time, meeting folks from all over France & the UK & the USA...So many who heard the gospel for the first time..we got to talk to folks who seem to have church connections afterwards, so it was really a useful time!
Catrin & I had a little walk around the area the morning of the wedding, once we had used up all the helium & balloons! It can imagine it gets really snowed in once the winter really sets in
So once I took the kids to school thismorning & after telling Alan to STAY IN BED, I came home & went back to bed too, & slept for 2hrs!
So that's it, am off to snooze land again!

No comments:
Post a Comment