Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

..Well it's not true where we are

I read an article on a great web site for French learners.

It was about a couple who had gone to Paris for a holiday, and they obviously had a very bad time.

Apparently everyone was rude to them, impolite, didn't always take notice of them when they asked for something. The couple had tried to learn a bit of French before going, but it seems that no-one liked them at all!!! That sounds a bit grim!!


Anyway, we have been here a year now (give or take a few weeks) and have found everyone to be friendly and very helpful.

Ok there was one incident right at the beginning when we wanted to buy an iron, when the lady heard us speak English she ran! We called to her to reassure her that we spoke French and she was fine.

Well hey chaps, there is many a time when I don't want to answer the phone incase the person speaks French and no English, or look the other way if someone approaches me in the street. So there you go!

But I love the way they all greet each other. In the super markets when someone has just come in to work, they go and greet all the other colleagues with a kiss, or shake hands.

When we visited UK recently, it was so strange that we didn't kiss everyone (apart from the folk in our church!) or shake hands. We visited some where, and people are very kind and friendly but just nodded and said "hi"

People say that the British are cold, perhaps this is what they mean. It's not true of course, it's just that everyone is different and we should make allowances for this.

On a different note all together, I just want to say how liberated I feel! Sounds good eh, but whilst in UK we stayed with some very dear friends. The wife does a little bit of ironing each day, and so it doesn't pile up.

Well, I don't do it everyday, but each time I do some washing, I iron it as soon as it's dry.

To all you very organised housewives who have done this for years, I salute you and for the moment, have joined your ranks.

We'll see how it goes once I'm back at University!!!

No comments: