I've just been looking back on the Davey family blog, and realised that I haven't written anything on this for myself...
We had been on holiday to France several times, and realised what a spiritually dry place it seemed. We couldn't see churches anywhere, and we could name loads of churches in N Wales, and see them no problem!but where were they hidden here in the town we were staying?
Well, I have to confess that these thoughts didn't stay with me for long after we got home..Perhaps it was because of family responsibilities etc..
When Alan finally told me his thoughts (after starting to have prayer meetings for France at our house, I began to wonder what was going on!) it was a bit of a shock!
I began to get worried that I hadn't had this "missionary call" for myself...perhaps I wasn't spiritual enough??
Neverless, I prayed about it, read scripture and found a wonderful book called "The chocolate soldier" by C.T.Studd
It speaks about the need for missionaries, and the need for courage..or do we, like chocolate, melt before difficulties..or do we go ..
It was a very challenging book, and I read it couple of times and it certainly helped me to see what I felt I mustdo..
I spoke to a minister about it, who had been called to go elsewhere with his wife and family.. I mentioned again that I didn't seem to have had any special "call" He was very helpful
'I've been called to go, so therefore has my wife, simply because she is my wife'
Alan had said all along that I had the power to stop the process..trouble is, who was I to fight against God!!!
So I began to see that it was the right thing to do..
Someone else said "God doesn't just call one member of the family, he calls them all"
So, It would have been terrible for me to stop the process, I could see that it was something that the Lord had laid on Alan's heart and therefore on mine too..
Several times the mention of mission came up in church as it would, and began to get quite upset at the thought that we might not be able to go! It became important to me that we obey God's prompting and finally, as the house was put on the market, it felt as if God was actually pushing us out of the country!
It took about 10 days to sell it! How often do you hear of that!
So that's it...maybe not as "spiritual" as some would like, but that's the way it was for me, it's different for everyone.
I made the promise to myself, that once here, I wouldn't look back, like Lots wife.. and I love it here, it's home and God is really working here in France

4 comments:
Thank for that Pat, you have certainly given me something to muse over - and admire. May God please bless you all richly as a family, may He use you to exalt His Son and glorify His Holy Name.
I feel that the important thing about being used by Him is not, "Didn't I/we do well for Him?" Rather, it'd along the lines of "Wow, the eternal God chose to use me/us! What an honour, what a privilege." May you, as a family, know many such examples of honour and privilege.
Thanks Ken,
I always used to think that missionaries had to be "special" people, where as in fact they are just ordinary sinful people, chosen by God to be witnesses in this world.
It therefore includes all Christians, and it just 'happens' that God has laid on some hearts, to go to other countries to witness there!
A simple look out maybe, but then I'm sure God equips each one of us specifically for the country or place where they are called to go, whether it is in our own home town, at work or abroad.
Amen, what an honour and a privilege!
Isn't it funny how we always think of it being someone else. My other half would take the first opportunity to go to Africa if he could. I recently listened to someone telling our church about their work in Cote D'Ivoire and the need out there. My husband was working and I thought 'What a shame, if he was here he would certainly feel the call to go'. Then it struck me - it wasn't him that needed the prod, it was ME!
Perhaps Binrob could practice saying, "'Allo,'allo, 'allo" in Swahili? It'd be great preparation and an ernest of good intent. If he needs help, I can find him a Swahili speaker to assist.
Post a Comment