Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 19, 2007

A day out in the country

Yesterday, I went with my French class, to Les Landes, in the forest. There was a good number of us, and we went by coach..It was great to have a day away..The children stayed in school for lunch (not amused!) but were taken home by Ben after school (much amused thankyou!!!)

There is a variety of folk from all over. I get on well with a lady from Bahran, and a chap from Australia! She is off to Australia at the end of the year for her husbands work, and the Australian chap lives here with his French wife, who is originally from Morocco!

We had a very interesting chat on the way home in which I was able to explain a bit of the gospel and he was able to share his "spiritual path "in yoga..

The place was called something like Maréqueze, I think!! It was home to many French peasants during the 19th century..


It sounded quite a good way to live, in that anyone was welcome, they had no fences around their land, and shared everything..New comers were given a place to stay, and had to pay their way by working the land, and giving some of their produce as payment..But such a hard life too...boy, how would we cope without our microwave ovens or computors today

They worked the land, used the sheep's "produce" on the land (over 300 of them) and ate meat only on Sundays
This is an upper story apartment block for the chickens, overnight, so they didn't get eaten by foxes etc!
This is where they made their bread! A huge fire...It was very tasty too;

A very interesting day, and now we all have to write a short piece on it!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little bit of useless information for you, (something at which I excel!); with regards to your 'chicken-licken' snooze box, (we have a fox who regularly visits us by night, primarily becoz we leaves nosh out for him), I was reminded recently that ma Daddy done tol' me that when he was a lad, apart from the fact that he had used to pump the organ in the parish church, - a different and totally unrelated story, - the local hunts had used to import foxes from France so that they should have sufficient quarry. (Wow, that was rather a long sentence wasn't it?) Thoroughly uninteresting I'm sure, but I thought I would just bore you with it!

With regard to the second photo', I really enjoy very hot curries, but I doubt that even I would find their huge fire tasty. Oh! I see, I've just enlarged the picture and assume that you must be alluding to the lady's wares, - the bread. One thing about French bread, it is rarely other than tasty, sometimes a bit monotonous but not very often so, and now that number one daughter and her family are rather inconsiderately moving from Provence back to the U.K. (Birmingham mark you - BIRMINGHAM!!!) - we're are not even going to get the opportunity to experience the monotony. Ah! Woe is we.

Pat said...

Birmingham???!

well, no comparison really..

Nice to hear from you again, how are you?

Anonymous said...

Well I would have been alright were it not for the deprivation of holidaying facilities. Some children just have no consideration for their aged parents do they? I wonder what French Old Folks' Homes are like??? (In actual fact I have a good idea having visited a French friend in one before he died - obviously!)

Thanks for the enquiry. How are you and the tribe? No need to relate the story of himself, I spoke to him on the 'phone this afternoon and had his sob-story first hand.

Anonymous said...

Weeell, how are you then? The question wasn't rhetorical, I'm too sincere for that. (If you'll believe that rubbish, you'll believe anything!)

Pat said...

I'll believe anything!

I'm fine thanks, up and down with the lingo you know, one day feel I'm doing ok, another feel utterly useless,but I expect that's normal (the feeling that is, or at least I hope so!)

Anonymous said...

That's the trouble with the French, or one of the troubles anyway, they don't speak a normal language like English, so you must expect problems!

(In actual fact, I think that French is the most melodic language I know of, I could listen to it for ages, even though I hardly know what they're on about. Stick at it girl, all of a sudden I'm pretty sure it'll just click and you'll wonder just why you ever had a problem. On second thoughts, no, you'll always understand why you had the problem, but I'm sure that it will just fall into place. Either that or the men in white coats will call for you!)

Pat said...

Yes, I love listening to people speak it to, it's super..*

Thing is, if the men in white coats come, they'll probably speak French,and very quickly too!!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you'll understand them......... in the end!