On Saturday evening, we had the International church meeting in our home (soon we're going to have to get a mini bus to get everyone here!)
John Mark (UFM worldwide) spoke from the Bible, Acts 3 verses 1-10, Peter healing the crippled beggar.He pointed out several things;
The man always sat outside the temple, very astute of his friends who put him there, cos of course those going into this temple were religious and 'good' so of course they would give him money.You see people outside the cathedral here in Bordeaux and other cathedrals in France begging.
The temple gate was called Beautiful. There was nothing beautiful about his life..he was crippled, couldn't work, so had no money, how else could he survive.
His need was to be healed so he could work...but is that all? His real need was to have his sins forgiven
The temple could have been anyone of a number of religions,but it didn't do a lot for him.
In our discussion,we got talking about Buddhism. Much of which is similar to Christianity, except..
Buddhism tells you you that good people go to heaven, bad people go to hell.Christianity tells us that we are all bad and are going to hell.
How can you ever know that you are good enough to get to heaven?
Ok so I've never murdered anyone, surely that must count..but hang on, what about that time when I wished my children would just shut up and leave me alone...
I've never robbed a bank or stolen anything, so I'm ok..but what about the time I used the office phone for a personal call to my boyfriend...
Never committed adultery..but hey what about that gorgeous girl in the office next door..
So how can we ever be good enough? We can't, is the answer..no hope of ever reaching such high standards. Nothing I can do or say..I may read my bible or pray several times a day which are good and valid things, but does that really make me good enough?
Well, no! The good news is that there is someone who has fulfilled perfectly all the standards that we can never hope to achieve..Jesus Christ, sent by God the Father to live a perfect life for us, that whoever believes in Him has eternal life!
The bible tells us this in John 10 and 11
It was really good to think about these things as it reminds us again of our hopelessness, and of Christ's full and perfect life given for us that we might be free.
'Before the throne of God above,
I have a strong and perfect plea
A great high priest whose name is love
Who ever lives and pleads for me
My name is written on His hand
My name is hidden in His heart
I know that while in heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.
When satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin
Because the sinless Saviour died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the just is satisfied
To Look on Him and pardon me.
Behold Him there the risen Lamb
My perfect spotless righteousness
The great unchangeable I AM
the King of glory and of grace
One with himself I cannot die
My soul is purchased by His blood
My Life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Saviour and My God.

No comments:
Post a Comment