Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

this stick insect was climbing up the side of the house

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand that, as with praying mantis, the funny little 'dance' that they do is to help them focus on distant objects, in the case of the mantis, frequently to assess the distance of prey. They absolutely love privet and will exist entirely on it; if you want a supply of stick insects for next year without overwintering them yourself, pop any you find in a privet hedge/bush where they will probably die off, but if they have a chance to lay fertile eggs, you should have a supply of their descendents next year.

I could get 'A' levels, possibly even a Ph.D in 'useless information'. (P.S. despite repeated questioning, none of the mantis or stick insects that I have met have ever confirmed my assertions, so this could be as much use as Wickepedia!)

Catrin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catrin said...

it was scary when it started dancing!!